I know each time a new month rolls in, I’m always stunned. Especially this year. And especially this month. Because in 21 days, Winston and I will officially be moving all of our belongings from our cute little rental in Baton Rouge to our newly purchased home in Dallas. And because this year has truly flown by!
This week, I have been loving the Olympic Games and learning about all the sports being competed, especially the lesser-known sports. I certainly didn’t realize that individual cyclists worked together to break away from the pack, then had to work together to stay away and then had to draw a line and finish for themselves. It’s fascinating, really, and watching all of the athletes has been an uplifting experience, especially after seeing how excited some are after winning a medal. I love that.
So with the Olympics in mind, here are my Friday Favorites:
- Michael Wong documented the U.S.Wheelchair Rugby Team at their Birmingham, Ala. training center in June. I’m digging the lighting used in the black and white portraits — gorgeous!
- Fstoppers has behind the scenes images of Annie Lebovitz’s new Disney campaign. Pretty cool stuff, and Annie shoots Canon.
- I don’t shoot sports that often, but I completely agree with The Dallas Morning News’ Chris Wilkins when he says to go tight for extra impact. (Also, could we talk about how awesome those photos he highlighted are?)
- Can you imagine having one of these animals as a pet?
- If you’re a wedding photographer and want to learn how to take some better ring shots, check out this tutorial from Jasmine Star.
- Gail Albert Halaban’s photographs peeping through windows of fellow New Yorkers are fascinating and will be released in a book this fall.
- Major kudos to Reuters photog Mike Segar. A powerful story and a powerful reaction: “At this point I was not a photographer. I suppose I just kind of instinctively rubbed his arm and shoulder, kept my hands on his back and held him a bit… Anyone would do the same for anyone else injured in their lap, right?“
Odds & Ends
- Ever wanted to know what Olympian you are most like? Check out this BBC quiz, using your weight and height to determine your athlete body match.
- Why yes, I would like a Dark Chocolate Bourbon Cherry Soda Float! These definitely need to be made this weekend.
- I wish I could paint in watercolor like this.
What are YOU loving this week?